HOURS: Hourly: 40 hrs/wk, mostly daytime, but on occasion (approximately 10-15 hours) will include some evening and Saturday hours.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Director of Student Services will work under the direction of, and will be accountable to, the SJ Executive Dean in conjunction with the Dean of Student Development.
PURPOSE: The Student Services Director is responsible for implementing the services of the San Jose campus that support students throughout their seminary training. S/he is responsible to facilitate the admissions, registration, student
accounts and student service activities of Western Seminary San Jose, working closely with system-wide campuses’ personnel.
Admissions Facilitate the admission process of incoming students.
- Periodically attend outside Recruiting Events
- Review traditional ministry degree applications
- Participate in weekly enrollment meetings that occur near application deadline
- Facilitate process of MFT (Marital & Family Therapy track) program applications
- Coordinate with Recruitment in the management of tracking prospective students
- Manage syllabi for SJ with professors and other campuses, posting information to website
- Coordinate the semester schedule with professors and other campuses, posting information to website
- Facilitate registration for: independent/individualized studies, Non-Credit Application/Registration, Alumni audit requests
- Extended office hours each first Saturday of the semester period and mid-semester student social lunches, plus other student events
- Oversee grading input with faculty, including Incomplete grades and extensions
Retention and Advising
- Coordinate with faculty advisors to retain inactive students
- Track and confer with Portland personnel on academic and financial petitions
- Serve as a dual representative for San Jose campus on the retention team, carrying out various tasks on behalf of the SJC
- Serve as academic advisor to non-degree, Graduate Studies Diploma, Graduate Studies Certificate, and MA Ministry Leadership students
- Serve as primary communicator to all current students, including but not limited to: regular emails, monthly student newsletter, and other publications
- Manage student events, including, but not limited to: orientation, graduation, graduation banquet, semester activities, student socials, etc.
- Administrate general student service needs including but not limited to: ID cards with photos, student directories
- Support local staff with database interaction and reporting
- Participate in Core team training exercises with system wide personnel
- Respond to majority of student inquiries (regarding forms, registration, student accounts, registration holds, and other concerns)
- Provide faculty with class rosters and student email lists at the start of each semester
- Provide and respond to faculty inquires related to class enrollment and date/scheduling changes.
- Coordinate classroom schedule, open/lock-up procedures, and key distribution.
- Coordinate with IT department classroom set up and facilitation of faculty A/V and technological needs.
Additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Must possess a Bachelor’s Degree
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks with efficiency and composure
- Ability to streamline and create more efficient student service procedures
- Superior organizational abilities so as to ensure prompt accessibility to stored data and timely completion of projects, and communication
- Excellent proofreading skills and concern for accuracy in all work produced
- High level of proficiency with PC-compatible computers
- Familiarity/ability with Microsoft Office suite products
- Ability to communicate effectively and accurately with peers, students, and faculty both orally and in written form
- Outgoing, friendly, and customer service oriented
- Ability to work well as a team player and a self-starter
- Capability to deal maturely with sensitive/confidential information
- Ability to handle the physical demands of the position
- Evangelical Christian commitment and lifestyle consistent with the National Association of Evangelical’s Statement of Faith and the Seminary’s governing virtues
Western Seminary, San Jose is located in the Bay Area / Silicon Valley area of California.
Interested candidates, please provide cover letter and resume- thank you.