Lake Grove Presbyterian Church
Lake Oswego, Oregon - United States
Email: Contact Us
Through two World Wars and other national crises, a Depression, serious financial uncertainties, community dissension and leadership changes, Lake Grove Presbyterian Church has remained steadfast in its mission of service to the Lord. That's quite literally true, for the three dedication dates affirming church solidarity and growth have been immortalized on a massive rock in the church's Courtyard, proclaiming each milestone of service to believers in Lake Oswego, in Oregon, and the Presbytery of the Cascades, and even extending to "the uttermost parts of the earth." The history of this 1200+ member church had humble - and appropriate - beginnings in service to children: a Sunday School that started prior to the first World War in the Community Swim facility, moving to the Community House at Reese Road in 1918. Convinced this program should grow into a church, nine residents met, named their fledgling church "Calvary Community," and adopted their articles of Faith. Rev. Wilder Nutting, whose name is the first in LGPC's "Roll of Pastors, Associate Pastors and Stated Supplies," was installed March 11, 1922. He served nearly two years, leaving after a disagreement with church officials in January 1924. That handful of the faithful who envisioned a thriving church did not falter, however. They met again in the spring of 1924, corresponded with both Presbyterian and Methodist hierarchies, and learned the responsibilities and obligations of each affiliation. For more information, please visit our website.