I. POSITION TITLE: Director of Children’s Ministries
II. PURPOSE: To provide leadership, coordination, and direction to a ministry for children (Birth through Grade 5) and their families, which will demonstrate God’s love and support their Christian nurture.
III. REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS:
The Director of Children’s Ministries (DCM) reports to the Sr. Pastor. The DCM is a member of the Christian Education Committee and a member of the Advisory Board for the Christian Nursery School (AB/CNS). On occasion, the DCM will be invited to attend
a monthly Session meeting to report on the state of the CM programs. The DCM will attend regular NPC Staff meetings.
IV. PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
A. Children’s Ministry Program Areas
1. Establish with the CE Committee and implement the vision, purpose, and goals for all Children’s Ministries consistent
with overall NPC mission and vision and the Children’s Ministries mission statement approved by Session and as revised
from time to time. Implement such other plans and programs as directed by the Senior Pastor or Chair of the CE Committee.
2. Support and encourage the efforts of families to raise their children in Christian homes.
3. Organize Sunday morning Christian education classes and nursery for toddlers, preschoolers and primary students and childcare for infants.
4. Organize and coordinate programs such as:
- Rotation Sunday School classes during the 9AM Sunday Worship Service for grades 1 through 6
- Wednesday night Bible Club childcare and classes for infants through sixth graders
- Annual Christmas Pageant
- Vacation Bible School
- Lighthouse Kids for students in grades K through 6th during the 10:45am Sunday morning worship service
-Parent’s Night Out
- Community outreach to the community called Trunk or Treat (a Halloween alternative)
- Children’s Christmas gift collection program for children living in Philadelphia
5. Visits Narberth Presbyterian Nursery School twice weekly to tell Bible stories to the children.
1. Identify, recruit, train, supervise and encourage volunteer leaders in the exercise of their faith for all Children’s Ministries.
2. Recruit, hire, train, and supervise all Nursery Care Attendants in cooperation with the CE and Personnel Committee
1. Ensure knowledge of and adherence to NPC’s Child Advocacy Policies and Procedures by all volunteers and staff of
2. Propose annual budget allocations for Children’s Ministries to the CE Committee Chair; review and manage to line
items throughout the year.
3. Maintain adequate curricula, supplies, and other materials needed to support all Children’s Ministry programs.
4. Cooperate with the Director of the Christian Nursery School to achieve, as fully as possible, the shared use of church facilities, classroom toys, and other resources with and among all NPC Children’s Ministries.
5. Develop timely communications to promote community and congregational awareness, interest, and involvement in
all NPC ministries for children.
V. EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Experience working with young children and their families and organizing volunteers in Christian ministry strongly preferred; related college study of benefit.
VI. WORKING CONDITIONS:
The DCM will conduct his/her ministry primarily at the church. However, considerable communication from home will take place with volunteers and parents, often after normal working hours.
VII. SKILL AND PERSONAL PREREQUISITES:
The incumbent must have a strong personal faith in Jesus Christ and must agree to the Core Values of NPC, seeking to live as a disciple of Jesus Christ; be Biblically literate and proficient; have a passion to minister to children and families;
be able to communicate and relate well with children, families, volunteers, and paid Staff; Administration – be a team player and leader; be a good organizer and be effective in delegating tasks to volunteers as appropriate; be a good manager and steward of
the financial resources of the Children’s Ministries.