Westminster Presbyterian Church ("WPC") is situated in the heart of the city of Lubbock, TX - a growing, mid-size city which is home to Texas Tech University. Lubbock is a great mixture of a college town in a suburban setting with modern hospitals, booming
businesses, affordable housing, great public and private schools - and opportunities for ministry. WPC is an Evangelical Presbyterian Church with a historic presence in the city, a legacy of effective ministry, and an eye towards the future. WPC worships
in Modern expressions at 9 AM and Traditional at 11 AM (with a well-attended Sunday School hour in-between).
We are looking for an highly relational, student-loving, Christ-centered Director of Youth Ministry (middle- high school).
POSITION DESCRIPTION: DIRECTOR OF YOUTH MINISTRY
The role of the Junior and Senior High Youth Director is to develop and sustain a relational ministry to the Junior and Senior High school youth (rising 6th graders – 12th grade) and their families, both of the church and community,
and to lead and facilitate a Youth Ministry for the spiritual nurture, mentoring, and adoption of youth into the life of Westminster Presbyterian Church (“WPC”) and a continuing deep faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
Vision and Ministry Development:
- Develop safe, Christ-centered relationships with adolescents and their families. Intentionally seek to develop trusting relationships with parents in the ministry and community.
- Develop, oversee and grow comprehensive ministry programs for students, including: Sunday morning worship spiritual formation, mid-week programming, small groups, community building activities, outreach events, retreats, and opportunities for mission and
discipleship. This should reflect WPC’s transformational strategy of worship, connection and service.
- Create an environment for transformative ministry to adolescents and their families where students are adopted into the broader church through caring relationships, discipleship, teaching, and ministry experiences.
- Recruit, equip, motivate, and mobilize an excellent volunteer staff, in collaboration with the Youth Committee, Staff and Session of WPC.
- Develop and implement with support from the Youth Committee, a core curriculum of faith-building discipleship that seeks to deepen students’ Christian commitment to include but not limited to a deep faith in their Lord Jesus Christ, the teaching of Evangelical
Presbyterian Church doctrine (communicants class), and a compassion for their community and the world (mission trips and service projects).
- Pray for wisdom and vision, intercede for persons involved in student ministry, and develop a prayer team who will do the same.
- Seek to discern God's vision for the youth discipleship, translate this vision into SMART (Specific,
Agreed upon, Realistic,
Timely) goals and programs, and communicate the vision to church leaders and members with support from the Youth Committee.
- Participate in the life of Westminster Presbyterian Church and encourage youth to participatefully as well.
Administrative and Community Duties:
- To reach out personally to youth in our community, WPC church youth, their families, and their student friends beyond the church environment by attending student sporting events, plays, and at the direction of the pastor to visit a hospitalized, home bound
or incarcerated youth in the Westminster Presbyterian Church youth program.
- Fulfill (or assume ultimate responsibility for) administrative tasks such as but not limited to mailings, maintaining and updating databases, medical and release forms for all participants in the youth program, creating forms when necessary.
- Have or acquire a Class B driver’s license.
- Organize and implement youth fundraisers.
- Attend continuing education seminars and conferences pertaining to youth ministry.
- Develop and manage the Youth Ministry Budget in collaboration with the Youth Committee.
- Attend weekly WPC staff meetings and monthly Youth Committee meeting.
Accountability and Evaluation:
- Reports to Head of Staff (Pastor) directly, with regular consultation.
- Inform Pastor, Youth Committee, staff, and congregation of concerns and ministry needs, through but not limited to:
- Weekly church staff meeting.
- Monthly meeting with chair of Youth Committee and/or Youth Committee
- Accountable to Session via elders of Youth Ministries and Personnel Committee with monthly reports.
- Participate with all ministry staff in team building exercises to include but not limited to, weekly staff meetings, staff retreat and staff gatherings for fellowship, discipleship and training.
- Performance and terms of employment are reviewed by the Pastor and elders of Youth Ministries and Personnel after the first 90 days and annually thereafter.
- Must be committed disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ, with personal maturity in leading and serving others.
- Have a sense of calling to the education and spiritual development of adolescents and possess a charisma and style that attracts them.
- Have a strong commitment to own spiritual, physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
- Have a strong commitment to servant leadership, working well independently, as well as part of a team.
- Preferred Associates or Bachelor’s Degree
- Scriptural and theological competency consistent with the Reformed Tradition and the distinctives of the EPC.
- Capable of setting and accomplishing SMART goals.
- Minimum of two years of experience working with youth, group leadership, and team building with strong skills in administrating and organizing a church program.
- Technical skills in computer use, to include but not limited to word processing, PowerPoint, Pro Presenter, graphics, and communication through social media, Facebook, text, email, etc.
- Displays strong written and verbal communication skills.
- This is a full-time salaried position
- Salary shall be competitive and will include benefits.
Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory completion of a background check, including an investigation with the State and Federal authorities regarding any history of criminal activities and personal and professional references.
*Please provide a detailed resume with all relevant experience and references.