VICE PRESIDENT OF MARKETING & COMMUNICATION
Job Title: Vice President of Marketing & Communication
Area/Location: San Jose, CA
Reports to: President
Subordinates: Marketing Team
Date Submitted for Revision: 12.14.17
Job Description Approved: 12.22.17
Classification: Vice President / Executive / Full Time / Exempt
The Vice President of Marketing and Communication is responsible for the branding of Cityteam and the strategic and tactical planning as well as the implementation of all approved marketing and communication activities for Cityteam. We are looking for creative
marketing professional to lead Cityteam’s Marketing Team to the next stage of growth and impact, keeping Cityteam’s mission, vision, and values at the forefront of decision making and action. The Vice President of Marketing & Communication will lead and oversee
all aspects of marketing including the development and implementation of an effective marketing strategy, branding, direct mail, creative development, content development, multimedia, digital, social media, and public relations. The VP of Marketing and Communication
will develop the internal marketing team and manage external agency partners.
The Vice President of Marketing and Communication will not only bring a wealth of marketing and public relations experience, but will also be a mature Christian who can handle conflict with truth and grace, and model Christ-like behavior. As a key member
of the Senior Leadership Team, you will work closely with the VP of Development and the rest of the Senior Leadership Team. The Vice President of Marketing and Communication will flourish in a rapidly changing environment, be innovative, demonstrate leadership,
and encourage teamwork. Our ideal candidate will be passionate about what God is doing at Cityteam, feel called to work here, and find joy in serving.
Strategic Implementation and Tactical Planning
- Develop strategic marketing plans that can reach a changing demographic, especially millennials.
- Lead the Cityteam rebranding intitiative.
- Create a robust digital marketing approach that focuses on technology and social media.
- Define and deploy best practice processes for supporting the broad array of creative requirements from the marketing team.
- Develop a comprehensive annual marketing plan to meet business goals.
- Assume primary responsibility for managing Cityteam’s contracted relationship with marketing agencies ensuring that all plans are reviewed and approved by the President.
- Operate a digital and social media marketing plan that expands the reach and recognition of Cityteam and educates the market on compassion ministries.
- Develops staff by providing career development opportunities with appropriate training, encouragement, and supervision.
- Collaborate closely with Cityteam’s Senior Leadership Team and program staff to deepen engagement with donors across the board.
Budgeting and Financial Management
- Develop annual marketing revenue budget including input from each city.
- Develop expense budget showing projections of fundraising cost to revenue ratios for all marketing activities.
- Monitor all monthly marketing expenses to ensure adherence to approved budgets and report on budget variances and trends that may result in variances to budget and recommend adjustments.
- Submit mid-year budget revisions in accordance with budgeting cycle.
- Implement all phases of the direct marketing plan for donor acquisition and cultivation in accordance with approved strategy and plan. Manage concept and creative development, design execution, production, and distribution of all marketing components.
These components include but are not limited to: appeal mailing, acquisition programs, telemarketing programs, radio and print advertising, telemarketing, pledge programs, and newsletter publications.
- Assist with production of marketing components of the missionary prayer letter process.
- Provide primary interface on all direct marketing projects with any marketing agency or consultants engaged by Cityteam.
- Secure appropriate participation and approval from City Directors for all marketing projects that are implemented in their cities.
Public Relations and Promotion
- Serve as Cityteam spokesperson as needed for certain media, analyst, and public speaking engagements.
- Supervise public relations and promotion staff.
- Interact with City Directors to clearly understand the unique public relations and promotion needs and to secure their participation and approval of the public relations plan.
- Manage the approved public relations program to ensure increasing public awareness of the issues and problems related to our client community and to enhance the image of Cityteam in all cities.
- Provide promotional resources to the cities as needed. These include but are not limited to brochures, donor acknowledgment materials (receipt package), displays, videos, and social media resources.
- Coordinate key messages and marketing materials with the President and individual City Directors.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Stand and sit for prolonged amounts of time
- Walk, bend, twist, & kneel
- Walk up and down stairs
- Talk and hear
- Finger and hand dexterity to feel, handle, and operate objects, tools or controls, and to reach with hands and arms
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Advertising, Marketing, Communications or related field
- 10-year minimum experience in marketing, advertising, and or public relations
- 5-year minimum experience supervising and managing staff
- Experience with one or more of the following automated marketing platforms: Campaign Monitor, SalesForce, Marketo, or Hubspot
- Valid CA Driver’s License with a clean record
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and Outlook
- Understanding of and experience with brand/donor marketing and how to adapt an organizational brand to different donor audiences and needs
- Ability to synthesize complex material, to translate it into readable and engaging marketing collateral, and to communicate it clearly and succinctly
- Strong communicator, oral and written, with confidence to develop and present ideas
- Self-aware and understands the impact of behaviors and emotional intelligence in the workplace. Also understands team’s strengths and areas for development
Preferred Education and Experience
- Advanced degree
- Experience in non-profit industry
- Familiarity with Cityteam, addiction, and homelessness
- High degree of creativity, flexibility, energy and enthusiasm
- This job typically operates in a professional office environment
- This role will regularly travel to remote locations and meet in a variety of venues.
- Days and hours of work will typically be Monday-Friday 8:00 am-5:00 pm, with frequent evenings and weekends.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications for Cityteam Ministries
- Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Must be active in a local Christian body of believers or at least pursuing community with other Christ-followers
- Must have compatible theology on major issues of Cityteam's Statement of Faith
- Must be committed to serving God and the body of Christ